Thursday 10 June 2010

Evaluation for Unit 64, 65 Comparison

Example: Normandy from mass effect

I am going to compare how my ship compares to a professional example.

I have chosen the ship Normandy from Mass Effect

To look at a ship such as the Normandy is to look at perfection itself as this ship has been crafted by the geniuses at Bioware. Their legacy includes the games Baldur’s gate and Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic. Enough about that but since they have worked on a star wars game then they have knowledge on how to work with the sci-fi genre.

Just above is the ship that has been created by a team of professionals. The appearance looks realistic the texturing looks perfect as the metal texture looks real. The physical model has indents into the sides of the ship which show the wings joints. Also the scale of the ship is huge it has been crafted with delicate attention and sensitive eyes. It took them about two to three months to get this complete and the end result was worth it. The size of it looks standard and everything looks symmetrical and balanced.

My new ship took about two weeks to make then again this is my first official project so quality is not as good as the Normandy. My ship below is at a small size and the textures are of a crystal I thought something different might be better. My model looks of a decreased value placed next to the Normandy but the textures look agreeable as the finished render looks realistic. The shape of each ship is not the same of course as the Normandy was done by professionals and my ship was done by me. The inspiration for my ship was the Normandy as the ships tail had a specific animation for when the ship entered FTL (faster than light travel). My animation was basic but the transition was fluent just like when the Normandy is in flight. The visual quality of my ship isn’t that bad with the textures it has since my ship is compact the program had to strain the texture so it wasn’t as visually exciting as it was looking at the texture map. The bigger the ship the more attention you can give it and the more physical detail it can contain.

No comments:

Post a Comment