Thursday 10 June 2010

Evaluation for Unit 64,65 basic outline

For my Unit 64, 65 work I had to develop an object I had the decision of a car or a spaceship, I decided to go with a spaceship as with this I am able to explore my imagination for different styles of ships. When I started I created a mood board to help with the design I looked at multiple examples of well known ships in the sci-fi genre and also alien vehicles.

After a bit of research I drew up some designs for my ship originally it was to have a crystal on the back to be its fuel source but I thought about that and it would be hard to model and the texture would be a bit hard to do so I got rid of that the main structure was just a box with wings and the front of the ship was slanted down to make way for a cockpit. I did some concept art at different angles such as top, left and front and side. I looked at the design again and made some more changes such as the appendages I originally designed.

Now I started to work on the 3D model itself it took about three weeks to make but it was similar to the original design. After that I started to work with texturing. I changed the model to an editable mesh and this helped me in the construction stages. I used the UVW Unwrap modifier which helped me make a blue print of the ship. Given that it was simple once explained so I unwrapped it and made a suitable outline for what the ship could look like I placed the blueprint into Photoshop and after some image manipulation I created a metal texture with a hint of beige I think.

Also as part of the texturing I have placed some popular images on my ship on the side I placed the Ghostbusters logo and at the bottom of the ship I placed Han Solo frozen in carbonite. After texturing I managed to create an animation which had the ship following a line that circles around a planet I made. It was basic really.

I grew tired of my old ship so I created a new one. This new ship would be better. Since I started again it took me a week to make it because of this time lapse it is of a really basic design. This was a good thing as I could do new textures for the body I used a recycled crystal texture that I made. Also unwrapping the new ship was easy because I had some experience with texturing I manipulated the new ship and placed some unusual pictures on it. I used a brush on Photoshop in the shape of a symbol and I placed on the front I also found an image of a phoenix which I used.

For the animation of the new shop I practiced using some particle systems such as fire and glowing lights with some practice I managed to make the ship been chased by fire. I would use a camera for the animation but I am not really experienced in that area.

The influences I had for the old ship was for the appendages the tripods of The War of The Worlds as I thought that having a ship with limbs could be good visually. For the shape of the ship I looked at the game Mass Effect which is a sci-fi game the ship in that is called the Normandy. Since my old ship was obviously the shape of a box I abandoned it and made a new one and since I rushed the new ship I wasn't able to produce a good quality ship but the texture it had was good as I created it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment